Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Breathing

I am very overwhelmed in a number of ways right now, so breathing reminds me to slow down, take a minute, and not let it overtake me.  Let's do it together.  Breathe in...  Breathe out.... Better, see?

Flooding Madness.


100-Year or 1,000-Year Floods.  No one seems to know, but it's a lot.


My heart right now is in Colorado.  It is absolutely incredible and surreal to see my home for the last 17 years on the national news and all over the internet covered in mud and water.

On Sunday morning, I received a reverse-911 call notifying me of an evacuation notice for our subdivision in Milliken (where Chris is) which sent me into a day obsessed with media reports, evacuation maps, road closure maps, and convincing my husband that he should, in fact, leave.  He did not have internet, so couldn't see the insane disaster all around him nor the constantly repeating message that the rescue crews would not return for people who didn't evacuate when they were supposed to.


Train cars sleeping.
This picture was taken in Milliken near Hwy 60 & Quentine, very near our house.
Highway 60 - a road I travelled on daily.
Chris was able to return home at 5 p.m. that evening. It stopped raining and the fears that they would have to shut the town down receded, even if the floodwaters still haven't. It takes 3x as long to go places now, but Colorado has moved on to recovery and my thoughts and love are with everyone there.  It is going to be a long haul.

Breathe.

Curation Madness.



I am loving my new job.  The people I work with have been so incredibly welcoming and supportive! I am excited to dig in and make some amazing professional museum-y headway.  Yesterday I had a meeting on the new museum exhibit project and I got really excited about it.  It is really fabulous to be acknowledged for my knowledge and experience rather than be put down. 

My sweet little museum

Delicious treats from the boss!

Inspiring exhibit team--full of professionals!
Right now my biggest frustration is that there is so much to wrap my brain around plus just finding things is a challenge.  I have to get a handle on where the collections are, what we have, what my resources are and what the history of my new community is.  No problem.

Breathe.

Tiny Human Madness.



Widget is really doing amazingly well.  She seems to be loving her new school and her teacher.  She is clearly learning lots of new things and fitting in well.  I love seeing her so stimulated and thrilled to show me each new thing she did.  Check out this awesome artwork!

Mom and daughter--my favorite!

A colorful house with green bushes

First Day at school


Nevertheless, I worry.  She is sucking her thumb more.  She is so exhausted at night that she puts herself to bed a half an hour early.  She can't seem to get herself up in the morning and she's not taking naps at school.  She wants to eat breakfast at home even though she'll get it at school.  She still wears diapers to bed.  She wants to watch TV every night, but if she does she's a cranky mess.  She misses her daddy and tells me every day that she wants to see him.  It's a little heart breaking.  But kids are resilient -- I'm sure she'll be fine.  But will I?

Breathe.

Breathing is good but so are Potato Chips. And Brownies. And Beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment