Monday, September 23, 2013

Sickness

Homesickness.

The nightly Skype conversation with Dad.

Widget: Why are you still at our old house?
Dad: So that I can sell it and get our stuff ready to go.
Widget:  Are you going to pack my dolphin slippers?
Dad: Yes, I will bring them when I visit.
Widget: Why are you still at our old house?
Dad: So I can pack up and sell the house.
Widget: Are you going to pack my dolphin slippers?
Dad: Yes.
Widget: Why are you still at our old house?

(Rinse. Repeat.)

Sometimes it's hard to be three.

Heart Sickness.

Yesterday, we went to the memorial service of my cousin's son, who was way too young to be gone.

It was an absolute blessing to see so many of my family members and know that it will be much easier to see them again now that we are nearby.  The Girl was clearly pleased to be around people who so willingly demonstrated their love for her even if it was a bit overwhelming.

My cousin Colby committed suicide earlier this month.  This is the third person I've lost to suicide and I still don't understand it. How can they not know how much they are loved? How everyone around them would have done anything to help them, to make the pain go away?

Colby with two of his favorite things.

My heart breaks for his mom, my cousin, Beth, her husband and her daughters. Nothing is going to make this easier for them.  But the most touching moment of the day was when I went to say goodbye to his sister, Jen.  Widget had been aloof most of the afternoon, but didn't hesitate in giving a sweet leg hug to Jen.  It made my heart sing to see how it touched her. 

Sometimes it's easy to be three.

Just Plain Old Sickness.


It had been three days of 3 a.m. callings by the Girl. "Mom? I can't sleep. I miss Dad." I feel for her, but I have my limits. Not only does she wake up the whole house, but half the time I can't get back to sleep. Finally, after getting about four hours of sleep the night before and the fact that I am clearly coming down with a bladder infection, I am about to lose my mind. The extreme exhaustion and the telltale pain in my pelvis combined with a lack of health insurance have turned me into a pile of goo.  This time the household is woken up by my sobbing.

The next night, we were all desperately hoping for some sleep. Unfortunately, it was not to be. Instead, Kim and I were awakened by a weeping sick girl burning up with a 102.9 fever.  Poor baby was so sick. Not a drop of kid's medicine or a thermometer she'd use in the house.  So off I went for a midnight trip to Wal-Mart.  We're lucky I made it there and back in one piece as tired as I was.

Sometimes it's hard to be the Mom (and the roommate).

I might have freaked Chris out with a 2 a.m. phone call.  But his calm voice on the other end of the line was just what I needed.

She felt much better after emptying her stomach on Kim, the floor and the Bee. Good times. So we turned on the TV, she snuggled up and after not too long, she fell asleep. And so did we.

The next night we had a plan.  She would sleep in the big bed with Kim if she woke up.  Mom got an excellent night's sleep (I was the only one who had to work the next day), but Kim got more than she bargained for.  The dogs, Logan and Lexi, decided that they knew much better than either of us about caring for tiny humans.  Two 40-lbs dogs took over the bed in their quest to protect her from certain doom. 

Lord and Protector Logan

Protector Lady Lexi



And on a side note...

Widget's Wise Words of the Week



We are driving on the highway in heavy traffic in the far left HOV lane and I realize that our exit is RIGHT THERE.  Four lanes over!  I turn on my blinker and this jacka** is in my blind spot and won't move.  This is a critical turn and it adds 15 minutes for us to get back to where we need to be.  I was so frustrated and my language might have been a *little* on the colorful side.  The whole time.  The girl pipes up from the back seat:  "You know, Mom, if you were being nicer, it would probably work out better for you."

Good point.

No comments:

Post a Comment