Sunday, October 6, 2013

House Hunting

Flash Back


Remember the last post...the one where The Girl was having a Skype with her Dad and asking for the same thing over and over?  If you don't, go back to the "Sickness" entry, read the first segment and then come back here. 

When Dad arrived last Saturday, he had a number of wonderful gifts in his suitcase (a Merida play set, lollipops, a sticker book), but most importantly, there were the dolphin slippers.  Upon seeing them, Widget asks, "Why did you bring my dolphin slippers? I already have slippers." 

Seriously?  She has no memory of asking for them EVERY night, multiple times in a conversation.  These are strange creatures, these tiny humans.



They sure missed each other!




The Intense Hunt


From the time Chris arrived until he left, our lives were completely consumed by finding a place to live.  We spent two days driving around every neighborhood in our new town so that we could learn places that we might want to live and places that we definitely don't.  Plus, we had never done this together before so we were learning what each other wants and needs and how our those overlap with each other.

An interesting thing about Lacey is that there are not very distinct high end or low end neighborhoods.  One day we drove through a trailer park and after the low end development, we drove right in to a high end development with $500,000 houses.  It meant that we had to explore everywhere instead of just targeted areas.

During the rest of the week, Chris would drive and drive and research and at night we would look at the properties he had picked out.  By the end of the week, we were beginning to despair that we weren't going to find anything.  Finally, when nothing was resonating with us, we decided to change focus and look at rental properties.  We made some appointments for showings of both rentals and sales and just as we were about to give up...



WE FOUND IT! 





Our new home (we hope!)

Front
Incredible kitchen

Beautiful open floor plan

If you want to see all the pictures, go here: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3608-Lanyard-Dr-NE-Lacey-WA-98516/69730366_zpid/

This house is well-maintained and had almost all of the features we were looking for.  There is a long way to go before it's really ours, but it feels AMAZING to have something to look forward to.  We are working out a rental agreement so that we can move in right away, so cross your fingers!

I'm glad the search is over because I'm exhausted.  Did I mention I was sick all week, too?  I'm ready to lie down!


Widget's Wise Words of the Week


On Saturday, we went to my aunt's house for a marvelous dinner with family.  Widget turns to Grandma and says, "When I grow up, I want to be just like my mom."  Awwwww.  My heart melted.  Grandma smiled and said, "I bet you will."  Widget proceeded to pull her shirt up and said "When I grow up, I'll have big ones, just like Mom!"

I bet you will.

 

Post Script


And if the week couldn't have ended any better, my Elle is here!  It never matters how long has gone by, it's always like we just saw each other yesterday.





No comments:

Post a Comment