Sunday, October 20, 2013

Patience

I've never been good at waiting.  Yes, I know that comes a shocking revelation.  I was the kid who couldn't sleep on Christmas Eve and I started planning my birthday in July (I was born in September).  As an adult, I've learned to keep it inside more (I have, I swear!), but I'm still as impatient as ever.  The last two weeks have been a lesson in patience. 

It will come.  It will be wonderful.  One step at a time.


While I'm waiting, I think I'll visit the Olympia Farmers Market. Again. This place rocks.

 

Curating

I love being a museum curator!  I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about being the only museum staff member or not having my own staff, and honestly, I do wish I didn't have either of those issues, but it is really wonderful to be right in the heart of all that is the museum.  As an administrator, it was wonderful being able to direct so much, make decisions and impact those around you. But I missed being on the front line, getting my hands dirty and playing with artifacts!

I am really trying to remind myself that being in Lacey now is what it was like being in Greeley 14 years ago.  We did not have the professionally run museum and archives that they have now.  Storage was crammed, modern policies were not in place and weren't being used if they were.  We came a VERY long way in 14 years.  I *love* that I did some of that.  Now I get to do it again.  This is what makes me happy.  I enjoy being able look back and see how I have made a big impact -- organizing a collection, bringing it up to professional standards and making it accessible to the public.  I am looing forward to creating a new museum, moving everything safely and creating an exhibit that will make the people in Lacey proud to be from here. 

Disappointment


We didn't get the house.  I really dislike when people go back on their word.  They accepted our offer and then changed their minds.  This experience has made me take stock, though. 

1.  This house will be the standard by which other houses will be judged.  Both in its good qualities and some of the negatives.

2.  I am convinced that we won't find our right place until there is a contract on our old place.

3.  We hired an awesome realtor in Lacey.  If anyone here needs a good realtor, she's smart and knows her stuff.  (Our realtor in Milliken--not so much).

4.  I don't think is was the perfect house for us.  I will know it when I feel it.

We have decided to rent short-term so that we can have our own place and our things and be somewhat settled before the holidays. Not what we'd hoped for, but our place IS out there.

Reunions

I've been catching up with friends and family in Washington and I have to say it's amazing.  Seeing the people that I haven't seen in five, ten or twenty years feels to me like I just saw them yesterday.  I've gotten to see cousins, aunts and uncles, long-time friends and flashes from the past.  I'm loving it. 

It's like coming home.

But hey, there's still some people I haven't seen. You know who you are.

Also, fall in Washington is awesome!


Widget's Wise Words of the Week

The girl is drawing a picture of her Dad and there is something on his head.  "Look Mom! Dad has a beaver!"

Yeah, I'm not touching that.

.

.

.



No comments:

Post a Comment