Saturday, November 30, 2013

Nostalgia

Maybe it's going back to my homeland or maybe it's having the opportunity through a big move to review the objects I hold dear that are attached to my memories, but whatever the reason, I seem to be reviewing old feelings, past relationships (and not just old flames, thank you) and adventures of my younger self.

Do you ever wonder why we do that?  You see a photo of someone you loved or you pick up your old journal and read a few entries or you read a letter from a dear friend and the feelings come rushing back. Perhaps you laugh, perhaps you recall a certain smell, but for a moment you are transported to another time, another life, another you.  You feel a little sad, a little happy, maybe even a little embarrassed at that other younger you that goes with the memories.

But in the end you go back to the present, look toward the future and get on with things.

What's really amazing is that it is good for you to look back.  For reals.  The New York Times said it so it must be true, right?

 “Nostalgia made me feel that my life had roots and continuity. It made me feel good about myself and my relationships. It provided a texture to my life and gave me strength to move forward.”       

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/science/what-is-nostalgia-good-for-quite-a-bit-research-shows.html?_r=0

According to the article, you can induce nostalgia by listening to music.  Here are a few of my favorites:

Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle

Suddenly, I'm in 1988 my senior year of high school. Possibly I'm at prom. Or cruising downtown Bellingham. Or on the band bus. Seriously, the best times were had on the band bus.

Plus, Belinda Carlisle was the best part of the Go-Go's.  Anyway...moving on...


The Promise by When In Rome 


This reminds me of when I was in France during my junior year of college. I walked or took the bus or tram everywhere and I listened to cassette tapes on my travels.  This and several other songs transport me across the pond instantly.

Lastly, this song is one that doesn't take me to the time period of the song, but to what I was thinking of when the song was playing. A memory within a memory, if you will. 

Cowboy Take Me Away by the Dixie Chicks

 

Research says this little walk down memory lane should help you feel more worthwhile and loved, help you deal with transitions (and as a bonus, feel warmer, too)! 

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment